Eat Glass

A place where I come to rant about the little things that don't matter.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Why have more than 5 buttons??

After reading the latest post on Eric's blog I've decided to post on a very similar subject, for two reasons. Number one, I know that Eric and I stand in the same boat on this subject, and two, Eric moderates his comments so no one can post clever things. (Personally I think he does this because deep down inside he's worried that no one will comment and he knows that the number of comments you get on your blog is clear evidence of how cool you are, [Check out 37 comments on 'you're wrong if part 2..." THANK YOUP!!])
Anyway back to the subject at hand. The Original Nintendo Entertainment System is hands down the best gaming system that has or ever will exist. I know a good chunk of you that are reading this weren't born when Super Mario Bros was released (1985) but notwithstanding I bet there are very few of you that haven't ever played it. Find another video game that has touched so many lives, I date you. And the NES goodness doesn't stop at our little Italian friend, on the contrary he is just the beginning. In my mind the simplicity of the NES is the key, I don't have 3 hours to figure out countless combinations of umpteen buttons on todays controllers, which for the record are becoming more and more inappropriate looking. Five buttons that’s it, the direction button (up, down, left, right- this isn't rocket surgery), start, stop, A and B. Give me any NES game and I guarantee I'll be able to figure out how to play it in 3 minutes (tops), without reading a manual or looking anything up on google. Then added to that simplicity are a crap load of the most entertaining games ever. And to top it all off are some of the coolest video game accessories ever, like the Power Glove (take that Mike Tyson) and the Power Pad (Dance Dance revolution, you are a biter.) I almost forgot my favorite part, Microsoft didn't make this system (that's right X-box lovers, I said it!)
Sure some people may say the graphics were crumby, well guess what, it's a freakin video game. If you want realistic graphics, then go outside and take a look around. But if you want to have some fun, turn the TV to channel 3, hit power on your NES, then turn the power off, take out the cartridge, blow on it, stick it back in, hit power, jiggle it a bit, take it out, rub it on the carpet, blow on it again, then stick it in, hit power and play. Here are a list of some of my favorite games.
-Super Mario bros (I've completed it in 1 life, in just under 8 minute, or half of "The Decline")
-Super Mario 3
-McKids
-Toobin
-Baseball Simulator 3000
-Contra
-Blades of Steel
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (arcade version)
-Battle Toads (I'm still lousy at this game)
-Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Feel free to ad your favorites. But be ye warned, if you post something stupid, like Super Mario 2 (I mean really, He wakes up and it's all been a dream?? Inthe words of Jeff Albertson "Worst Ending Ever!!"), I'm gonna make fun of you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect example of how old people are unwilling to adapt to new technologies. Sure those old "simple" systems were great in their day... but you can't figure out an xbox controller? It must be your arthritis setting in... cuz most kids these days can handle it!

The new gaming systems are great, but the best is the PC due to the user's ability to manipulate the hardware, and the amount of controls available to the user. Amont other decives, most PC games use a "keyboard", its an array of buttons that sits in front of the system, sure it may have more than 6 buttons (mine has 121) but most people get used to it really fast. I'm certain you've seen one of these devices before.

Graphics, worldly interactions, user controls and features... these are all where its at in this modern day. Simple games can be fun, but complex games are way funner if you're willing to learn to play them. Some games need practice too, it's not about being able to learn to play in 3 minutes and beat the game in 8!

Now excuse me, I must go play some PC games....

7:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But yes according to Wikipedia, SMB original holds the record for number of units sold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros) ... It's like confused people buying dell computers though, they do it because its cheap and it comes in 12 business days, which they think is great. But it's all nasty noname parts and it's all junk.

Simple games for people who need to keep things simple I guess...

9:52 p.m.  
Blogger Bray said...

he means you are old and possibly a bit slow.

Long live square, cricle X and triangle!

7:42 p.m.  
Blogger Bray said...

And also, shut up, SMB2 was a great game. Who can top whipping turnips at non-gender-specific Dinosaurs? And also, I believe sony has dephallucised their ps3 controller.

11:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, the new one may be dephallucised, but it could still hold some... "ball-like" qualities:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/25/joystiq-readers-redesign-the-ps3-controller/

We really do just need a forum...

3:06 a.m.  
Blogger Denise said...

Oh my...My NES is my most prized possession...ask Eric.

The best game has got to be Duck Hunt. Think about...the sweet orange gun, the lame dog laughing at you when you miss...classic.

Everytime I pull out my old school Nintendo people cheer...I think I once saw someone get a little teary eyed over it.

2:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home